Purpose and Use
Agencies have always been concerned with environmental testing and data collection. In the past this information was stored in paper format in filing cabinets. In order to review trends or determine previous results it was necessary to pull this data and if the principal investigator was no longer with the agency there was a real possibility that the knowledge of a site became lost. RBDMS Environmental manages field, analytical data from areas disturbed by oil and gas and mining activities. It is used to track field observations for soil, sediment, surface water, ground water, tissue, and air matrices and accepts analytical water quality and chemical data reports from industry and third-party laboratories.
The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission uses RBDMS Environmental on the Web to track data including but not limited to hydraulic fracturing operations, while the Ohio Department of Natural Resources staff uses RBDMS Environmental to track data associated with mined lands reclamation. Agencies in Nevada, Nebraska, and Mississippi have previously used the RBDMS Environmental data structure in connection with their source water protection programs.
Capabilities and Features
RBDMS Environmental offers the following functionality:
- Secure logon and roles-based security that integrates with eForm.
- A filterable dashboard with sophisticated querying capabilities.
- Online form completion for facility creation, sample data, and field and laboratory results.
- Client- and server-side data validation for immediate user feedback.
- A server-neutral GIS.
- An extension of the eForm Alerts module that includes sophisticated analytical data checks.
- Chain-of-custody and statistical reporting.
- Electronic data deliverable formats based on the EPA WQX schema.
Laboratories can upload reports to the RBDMS Environmental Web application in one of several possible formats: In EPA WQX-compliant XML directly from a LIMS, in an Excel format mapped to the schema, or in online forms.
Automated alerts and data validation checks included in RBDMS Environmental range from checks for valid names, locations, and dates to sophisticated parsing of results for the following conditions:
- Cation:Anion Ratio
- Holding Time
- Missing Analysis
- Dissolved vs. Total
- % Difference from Baseline
- Sodium Absorption Ratio
The development platform used to develop the RBDMS Environmental can output Web clients in either Silverlight or HTML 5.